Text: Lev. 14:33-45
A. The book of Leviticus is a book of the laws and rituals pertaining to the tabernacle worship of God. In the previous couple of chapters God has dealt with the recognition and sacrifices connected with the disease of leprosy.
1. Leprosy, in the Bible , is a picture of sin. In this chapter, God deals with the problem of leprosy in a house. Let’s consider this strange, strange story.
A. The Location of the Sin (v34)
1. “Canaan,” a place of spiritual rest
a. Christ is our rest.
“For we which have believed do enter into rest ...” Heb. 4:3
2. “House,” a place of physical rest
3. “In.” Sin begins within a house or a person.
“Know ye not that your bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit?...” 1 Cor. 6:19
a. Sin begins as a small spot, just like leprosy.
b. That which is within, will come out!
1) You can depend on the sin-nature!
B. The Recognition of the Sin
1. By the owner of the house (the first to know, and the least to admit!) (v35)
2. By the priest (we can see others, but we can’t see ours!) (v37)
3. By others (our friends, and brothers in Christ, church family) (v40)
C. The Result of Sin
1. Causes a dislocation (v36)
a. It changes things for the worse
2. Causes a disturbance (v40-41)
a. Sin must be replaced with holiness
3. Ultimately causes destruction (v44-45)
a. Sin separates us from God
b. Separation causes backsliding
c. Backsliding causes death (usefulness)
d. Death causes shame.
“For we shall all appear before the judgment seat of Christ...” (2 Cor. 5:10)
1) Judged for our works, our families, our churches, and our nation.
A. Sin begins as a small spot, barely noticeable, yet it spreads at a rapid rate. Soon the body is affected and infected. Sin must be stopped before it can gain a foot-hold!
Return to the top of this page